Alabama State Games Miracle League Baseball Competition
Competition Dates: June 10 & June 11 (if needed)
Registration Opens March 1, 2017
Our players may not be able to run the bases or hit the ball as well as some of their peers, but they have an equal amount of love and determination to play baseball. We want to help them achieve that dream.
There is something about playing the game that lights up a person’s eyes. But for children and adults facing serious physical and mental disabilities that opportunity can often be difficult to achieve. Baseball diamonds weren’t exactly designed with wheelchairs and crutches in mind.
The Miracle League removes the barriers that keep children with mental and physical disabilities off the baseball field and lets them experience the joy of America’s favorite pastime. Since the main barriers for these adults arise from the natural grass fields used in conventional leagues, Miracle League teams play on a custom-designed, rubberized turf field that accommodates wheelchairs and other assertive devices while helping to prevent injuries.
But it’s more than playing a game. The Miracle League is about making new friends, building self-esteem and being treated just like other athletes. To help the athletes, the Miracle League uses a “buddy” system – pairing each player with an able-bodied peer. The result is a bond that cannot be described. The Miracle League serves children and adults who suffer from any physical or mental disabilities, which causes them to be excluded, whether intentionally or not, from conventional Baseball leagues.
- Every player bats once each inning.
- All base runners are safe.
- Every player scores a run before the inning is over (last one up gets a home run).
- Each team and each player wins every game.
- Two innings per team per game.
- Game time is approximately 45 minutes in duration.
- Volunteer buddies will be provided to players by the Miracle League of Dothan, as needed.
- Each team can consist of ages 6 and up.
- State Games gold medals will be awarded to each participant on each team.
- Water World Dothan Waterpark passes will be provided for Miracle League participants.
- The Rotary Miracle Playground, which is equipped for individuals with special needs, will be open free of charge throughout the weekend for participants to enjoy.
- This event is a great opportunity to showcase Miracle League baseball!
Additional Event Information
Additional information about Miracle League Baseball and the overall Alabama State Games event activities, including Opening Ceremony, can be found in the tabbed section below. Use the tabs on the left to reveal the section you want to view.
Alabama State Games Hospitality Patrons
The Alabama State Games Hospitality Patrons support the games by donating equipment, food for volunteers and supplies as well as monetary donations. We would never be able to pull of the Alabama State Games without these organizations. Please take the time to support these fine companies.