Alabama State Games Triathlon Competition
Get ready for the largest annual multi-sport amateur athletic event in Alabama, the Alabama State Games. It's all happening June 20-22, 2014.
Triathlon is a multi-stage competition involving three continuous, sequenced endurance events. Many variations of the sport exist, the most popular form involves swimming, cycling and running. Triathlon debuted at the Summer Olympic games in 2000. In 2003, triathlon made its debut in the Alabama State Games. Currently, the Alabama State Games triathlon event has been strictly for the youth to help promote the sport to young Alabamians at an early age. Get your child involved in this great sport today!
Complete Sport Information
Complete information about Triathlon can be found in the tabbed section below. Use the tabs on the left to reveal the section you want to view. If you questions are not answered completely, please feel free to contact our office at 1-800-467-0422.
- Opening CeremoniesLet the Games Begin!
- Event ScheduleComplete Schedule of Events
- Contact & Venue InformationEvent Staff & Venue
- Event FeesRegistration Fees
- EligibilityEligibility Requirements
- Event RulesCompetition Rules & Format
- AwardsWhat Do I Win?
- Athlete of the YearNational Congress of State Games
- Photo Gallery
Don't miss the Opening Ceremonies on Friday night, June 20 at the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex Arena. The opening Ceremonies will feature the lighting of the Olympic Flame, the Parade of Athletes, indoor fireworks and so much more. Every registered athlete participating in the Opening Ceremonies and the Parade of Athletes will receive a FREE Commemorative Opening Ceremonies T-Shirt!
- Friday, June 20, 2014
- 6:45 p.m. Opening Ceremonies-Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex Arena
- Sunday, June 22, 2014
- 6:00 a.m. Packet Pick Up at Venue (Beach Parking Lot 1)
All Participants please arrive by 6:30 to facilitate for parking and traffic
- 8:00 a.m. Transition Area Closes
- 8:30a.m. Race Starts (tentative) *Meet Near Beach
NOTE: Park Entrance Fee Required
Venue InformationOak Mountain State Park
200 Terrace Dr.
Pelham, AL 35124
Please note: This is a Sunday Event.
Early Registration - SAVE!!
Received by June 6, 2014
Standard Registration Available ONLINE ONLY!
NOTE: Park Entrance Fee Required!
This is a USA Triathlon sanctioned event requiring official rules of USA Triathlon be followed. This includes but is not limited to helmets, chin straps, outside assistance, transition area, drafting, unsportsmanlike conduct, headphones, race numbers, wetsuits, abandonment of personal items, and race course rules. For a complete list of rules, please refer to the most up to date USA Triathlon Competitive Rules at http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/rulebook.aspx#supplemental; also, please visit the ASF Foundation website for course maps as race day approaches.
No participation will be permitted without proof of a current USAT MEMBERSHIP.
PROOF OF USAT MEMBERSHIP is REQUIRED to pick up your packet.
Visit www.usatriathlon.org to purchase an annual Youth Membership for $15. One-day memberships can be purchased for $10. Only cash and check will be accepted day of event.
Parents/coaches must show a picture ID in order to pick up their packet for their youth participant.
Acceptable forms of proof of membership include:
- USAT issued current membership card or key card
- Membership card printed from USAT website
- Membership card displayed digitally on smart phone
- Current waiver and membership application receipt from another sanctioned event
- An official letter from the USAT National office
- Triathlon Life magazine showing athlete name, membership # and expiration date
If you cannot provide proof of current membership, you will be required to purchase a ONE-DAY membership or renew on site. Every participant is regarded as an individual for membership purposes. This includes every member of a relay team.
USA Triathlon “Age-up” Policy: In accordance with USAT rules, an athlete’s official race age is his/her age on December 31, 2014.
Event Rules & Format
The competition will follow USA Triathlon official rules.
Packet Pick Up
Race Day, beginning at 6:30 a.m. You will first be required to sign a liability waiver, show proof of USAT membership, and then you will proceed to receive your race packet, and finally to set up your belongings in the Transition Area.
Opens at 6:30 a.m. and CLOSES at 8 a.m., prior to the race start. Allow plenty of time to pick up your packet and to arrange your belongings. Bike racks will be available on a first come, first serve basis. Parents will NOT be allowed in the transition area during the race. Athletes must be wearing their race numbers at all times (body markings) in order to enter the transition area. Bikes removed from the Transition Area will only be allowed to be removed by matching bike numbers to athlete numbers.
Race Course Information
The swim start will be a time trial start in waves by age division. Be sure you are ready to get in the water by your proper age division. Water safety personnel will be provided. Aid stations will be on the run course, but will not be on the bike course, so be sure you have water/fluids on your bike or in transition. The roads will NOT be closed to car traffic on the bike/run course, so USE CAUTION! Volunteers will be at any major cross or turn in the course directing athletes but will NOT be directing traffic. It is the athletes’ responsibility to be aware of vehicles and know the road rules for his/her own safety’s sake.
Swim - Shallow Beach Area in Lake
Bike - On Road
Run - On/Off Road
State Games Medals will be awarded for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place for the top 3 overall Male and Females in each division.
Athlete of the Year Program
The National Congress of State Games (NCSG), in an effort to recognize amateur athletes and further the purposes of the State Games movement, presents an Athlete of the Year award. National winners will be chosen from among the individual State Games Athletes of the Year recipients.
How the Athlete of the Year is Chosen
Following the State Games, sports directors, coaches, athletes and parents can nominate athletes for the Athlete of the Year. A selection board will meet in August to determine the male and female Athlete of the Year. Selections are based on sportsmanship, effort, attitude, overall athletic participation, achievement, motivation and special attributes or circumstances. The male and female athlete of the year will receive a medal and possibly be mentioned in future State Games publications. The Athletes of the Year will also be submitted for consideration by the National Congress of State Games in naming the female and male National Athlete of the Year.
To be considered, the Athlete of the Year Nomination Form must be received by Thursday, July 3, 2014.
Alabama State Games Official Results for Triathlon
All results are reported as they were furnished to the Alabama State Games Command Center. Any changes in the results will have to be confirmed by the officials in charge of the event. Send any questions or corrections to email@example.com.
2013 Official Results
Triathlon-Youth Race Results
- 1 - McKenzie Hogue [20:39] (Alabaster)
- 2 - Madison Atkins [32:04] (Columbus)
- 3 - Loree Gidley [36:13] (Tuscaloosa)
- 1 - RC Stewart [19:21] (Wetumpka)
- 2 - William Grissom [25:11] (Birmingham)
- 3 - Skyler Etheridge [32:30] (Birmingham)
- 1 - Madison Hoaglurd
- 2 - Samantha Burns [56:53] (Madison)
- 3 - Josefina McGuire [57:47] (Springville)
- 1 - Nicholas Callahan
- 2 - Jonah Morris [47:33] (Rainbow City)
- 3 - Hunter Grimes [56:19] (Gadsden)
- 1 - Cecily Burns [19:11] (Madison)
- 2 - Breeze Phillips [19:25] (Adamsville)
- 3 - Ever G. Williams [20:59] (Northport)
- 1 - Logan Weighall [11:04] (Wetumpka)
- 2 - Wyatt Mulder [18:50] (Wetumpka)
- 3 - Zachary Grissom [21:23] (Birmingham)
- 1 - Isabella Doll [30:51] (Birmingham)
- 2 - Taylor Grissom [31:58] (Birmingham)
- 3 - Kate Mcomber [32:08] (Montgomery)
- 1 - Graham Young [25:34] (Auburn)
- 2 - Drake Loiacono [26:26] (Hoover)
- 3 - Conrad Burns [29:57] (Madison)